Marriage Abroad: What Documents Need to Be Translated

Love is a wonderful thing that can happen anytime and with anyone. Some people find love on their way to work, at their favorite restaurant, or even while in a foreign country. While you and your significant other might feel very deeply in love, you will still need to get married before the law can recognize your union. There are many awesome destinations for marriage worldwide, but getting married abroad comes with its own requirements in the form of documents. So, to ensure you get the best experience possible, we’ll be going over the most important marriage documents you will need to get translated if you are marrying in a foreign country.

Marriage Abroad: 4 Documents That Need to Be Translated

When deeply in love, it can feel frustrating to go through many steps before officially getting married. However, if you feel this is stressful, it can be much worse if you don’t get important documents like your marriage certificate translated properly and by certified translators. So, without further ado, here are the 4 most important documents couples need to get translated if they want to marry abroad:

  • Birth Certificates
  • Witnesses Passports
  • Marital Status Certificate
  • Identifying Document With Photo

Birth Certificates

One of the first and most important documents you will need to get translated is your birth certificate. A birth certificate should contain your name, birth date, place of birth, and other related information. While not every country is the same, the birth certificate is one of the most commonly required documents. If possible, you can start working on getting your birth certificate translated early while planning your wedding, but after you have decided on the wedding location. Even if you are fluent in the language of the country where you will be traveling, you should still seek professional translators. Some of the best translation services at Yahoo will offer you amazing prices that will help keep costs down. At the same time, you don’t need to worry about the quality as they are certified professionals. 

Witnesses Passports

When getting married, you are required to bring at least one witness each. This is often the custom in most parts of the world, so it isn’t something you will likely be able to escape doing. However, before your witnesses can be recognized, they would need to bring with them their passports. Unless the language of the passport is the local one, you will need to get it translated. This also applies to both the bride and groom. In most cases, you won’t even be allowed access to the country if you don’t have your passports translated, so it’s a step you can’t avoid either way.

Marital Status Certificate

Typically, before you get married, you have to be single. However, in some regions of the world, you can carry a second or even third wife. So, before you can get married, you have to share your translated marital status certificate. It should show if you are single, divorced, or in another marriage. It’s important to note that this document can have very serious implications if it is incorrectly translated, so make sure translation is only done by professionals. Marriages have been deemed null and void years after the wedding day because the wrong documents were submitted.

Identifying Document With Photo

Lastly, you need to provide documents that clearly show your name, along with a photo of yourself. Some countries will require more than just your passport, especially if the photo there isn’t clear or recent. So, in order to avoid any unnecessary delays, you should also make sure to carry other documents that carry your name and a recent photograph. Examples include immigration papers, driver’s licenses, and travel papers.

In Conclusion

Weddings are great, and when appropriately planned, they can leave you with unforgettable memories that last a lifetime. A wedding in a special location in a foreign country is an excellent way to start a marriage together, but it’s also important that all legal matters are handled. If you want to get married, you will likely need to get your birth certificate, passport, and marital status translated. The entire process might take days or months, but it will be worth it. Hopefully, you enjoyed this article and found it useful. If so, consider sharing it with friends looking to get married soon.