Most of our life depends on love, and sometimes it seems that the planet itself would stop rotating if it were not. So why not find out interesting facts about love that explain this quality, without poetic embellishments. We’ll take a look at the psychological facts and also look at some of the amazing scientific research on the biological processes that cause the kind of reactions that happen to a person who falls in love.
Some of the facts from this collection you may have heard somewhere, while others probably were not known to you.
Love is hard to find and hard to keep. This is a mysterious, exciting feeling, especially when you experience it with a person who reciprocates your feelings. And science provides valuable lessons that can demystify this complex emotion, making it easier to find true, meaningful love.
Interesting facts about love
- Love has been proven to have a calming effect on the mind and body of people.
- Hugs are a natural analgesic. Oxytocin, known as the love hormone, is released during hugs and reduces headaches. Therefore, it is better to start the fight against headaches with the hugs of a loved one, and not immediately resort to painkillers.
- Monogamy is inherent not only to people, but also to different species of the animal world. Wolves, swans, gibbons, vultures, albatrosses, and even termites are examples of fidelity. They are faithful to one partner throughout their lives.
- Jointly experienced dangers contribute to the emergence of mutual love between a man and a woman much faster than in a normal setting.
- Roses are a symbol of love, and according to the color they convey a variety of feelings. Red means passion and true love ; light pink means desire, passion or energy, while dark color is an expression of gratitude. Yellow roses are bound by friendship or jealousy; lilac roses – love at first sight , and white ones – devotion.
- Considering the following facts about love, let’s fast forward to sunny Italy. Every year on Valentine’s Day, thousands of letters arrive in Verona, Italy, the city of Romeo and Juliet. It is believed that this accompanies success in finding your soulmate and will help you find true love.
- A person in love has a more creative imagination than someone who loves only himself. Because love gives inspiration and makes thoughts more abstract.
- In some cultures, an apple is a symbol of love. For example, in ancient Greece, if a man threw an apple to a woman, it was considered a marriage proposal. The Celts associated the apple with the fertility of the bride.
- The tradition of giving a girl a diamond engagement ring was started by Archduke Maximilian of Austria in the fifteenth century. He gave a diamond ring to his fiancee, Mary of Burgundy.
- The oldest love song is 4000 years old. It was written in the area between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers.
Interesting facts about love and relationships
- If a couple in love looks into each other’s eyes for three minutes, then their heart rate is synchronized.
- Happy people are easier to fall in love with. The company of a happy person produces a pleasant state of body and mind, so relationships with such people are rarely broken off.
- A long courtship will most likely lead to a long, happy marriage.
- Love makes a person in love less productive. For example, their ability to concentrate and complete tasks decreases.
- For true love, distance doesn’t matter. (If you want to know how to keep your love at a distance, then read what to do?)
- In relation to love, one seventy-year-old study conducted by a group of specialists from Harvard University is interesting. The study showed that love is the only thing that really matters in a person’s life and gives it real meaning. And happiness and achieving personal goals revolve around love or the desire to find it.
- King Harald of Norway vowed to remain a bachelor for life unless he could marry the daughter of a draper, with whom he truly fell in love. She became the queen of Norway
- In Auschwitz, an SS guard fell in love with a Jewish prisoner, whose life he saved several times.
- There are about 3 million first dates around the world every day.
- If you regularly kiss your wife in the morning, then there is a chance to live 5 years longer than those who do not. Is there something to think about?
The most interesting facts about love
- 65% of people tilt their heads to the right when kissing, not to the left.
- 43% of women prefer not to hear love confessions from a man who is not ready to make serious commitments.
- Dolphins are considered the most romantic animals. To win the heart of their chosen one, they are ready to sing serenades to her for more than 40 minutes.
- Lovers in one minute of a kiss can burn up to 26 calories, so use this “dessert” for weight loss.
- Feminists are more romantically inclined than other women.
- Most men and guys are in no hurry to introduce their chosen ones to their friends. Whereas almost all the fair sex introduce a man to their girlfriends.
- 23% of couples who meet on dating sites end up getting married.
- According to statistics, about 38% of people live in the world who will never be able to find their soul mate. So they will not experience the feeling of a happy marriage.
- The habit of holding hands with a loved one helps relieve physical pain and reduces fear and stress levels.
- Studies have shown that seeing a photograph of a loved one reduces the feeling of pain and suffering by 44%. How do you like these facts about love?
- Studies have found that the brain of a person in love produces the same feeling of euphoria as the brain of an addict when using a drug.
- According to one study, a beautiful face attracts more partners than a beautiful body.
- Girls from the Tiwi tribe, which is located in the South Pacific, are married at birth.
- A person who falls in love, especially a woman, constantly wants to eat sweets. Most often chocolate.
- The survey showed that 52% of women do not consider their husbands to be kindred spirits for themselves.
Psychological facts about love
- Love can exert the same tension on the body as intense fear experienced. A person in love experiences the same physiological reactions: dilated pupils, sweaty palms, an increase in heart rate.
- Romantic music is conducive to love relationships. Did you know that a woman, after listening to romantic music, is more ready to meet and fall in love with a stranger than a man with a woman?
- The heart is really breaking. Research shows that stressful situations such as the end of a relationship, the death of a loved one, divorce, or betrayal can lead to physical pain in the heart area. This condition is called takotsubo cardiomyopathy or broken heart syndrome.
- A number of studies have found that couples who have a regular sex life and maintain good communication have longer relationships.
- Erotomania is a psychological disorder in which affected people believe that a famous person is in love with them.
- Over time, people living in a happy marriage become more and more similar to each other.
- Romance is not a sign of love at all. If a guy gives a girl flowers or gifts and constantly serenades her under the window, then this is not proof of the seriousness of his intentions.
- According to psychologists, the breakup of relationships often leads to love frustration. It makes some people continue to love with the frenzied or fanatical love of those who abandoned them.
- People tend to succumb to a quivering feeling of love during special life changes. For example, the possibility of falling in love is greatly increased when moving to a new place of residence or when a person travels.
- Men prefer ladies in red. According to the study, men (for reasons that are not yet fully understood) are more likely to have intimate or serious conversations with a woman dressed in red. Therefore, women should think about it.
Interesting facts about love from a medical point of view
- Studies have shown that a happy marriage helps lower blood pressure. So don’t forget to thank your husband or wife for being healthy.
- The presence and support of a loved one during illness or injury contributes to faster healing of wounds and recovery of the patient.
- Surely you have heard the saying “the eyes are the mirror of the soul”. Therefore, it is not surprising that a simple glance is enough for a person to fall in love once and for all, even with a stranger. All this is due to the action of “phenylethylamine”, a substance responsible for bouts of unbridled and passionate love. The action of this substance is similar to the use of cocaine with its signs of euphoria, as well as sexual desire and arousal.
- Love has similarities with compulsive disorders. Research has shown that people in the early stages of falling in love have lower levels of serotonin, associated with feelings of happiness and well-being, and higher levels of cortisol, associated with stress. The same picture is observed in people suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder. This explains why people in love sometimes do stupid things and are often unable to control their actions.
Scientific facts about love
- Love and falling in love have been extensively studied by science and what has been found out may surprise you. Let’s take a look at some of the scientific facts you probably didn’t know. (And in this article you can find out the differences between love and falling in love ).
- The feeling of euphoria in a person in love is the same as that of a drug addict who has taken a drug. Both actions trigger the release of happiness hormones such as dopamine, oxytocin, and adrenaline.
- Love, like a drug, can make a person obsessed. We can indeed become addicted to love, according to a new study. Here’s what scientists found when scanning the brain of a man who broke off a relationship with a beloved partner. The healing of emotional wounds after a breakup is similar to the symptoms of getting rid of drug addiction.
- The ability to love can be increased. Research confirms that attention to a partner significantly improves the ability to love. Mindfulness reduces the activity of the areas of the brain responsible for the appearance of fear and anger. This evokes positive feelings, such as empathy, which strengthens the bond with our romantic partner.
- Love improves physical health. Studies have repeatedly shown that people who experience loneliness are at a higher risk of premature death. Whereas loving, emotionally attached people tend to feel healthier and live longer. Does this fact about the relationship between love and health impress you or not?
- People who have never been in love may suffer from hypopituitarism. This is a very rare disease. Its essence is that eight hormones produced by the pituitary gland (associated with love and affection) are released in small quantities. Therefore, the human brain has difficulty with a sense of passion.
- Novelty awakens dormant love. Once in a hotel room in a foreign country, many couples are able to commit some crazy things again. The brain, responding to any novelty, again releases dopamine in high concentrations, thereby awakening the initial drive of love in the couple. Therefore, here is what psychologists advise: many couples simply need to periodically arrange a romantic date night for themselves in order to avoid the family routine.
- During falling in love, neural circuits are suppressed, in other words, “brains are turned off,” for example, the prefrontal cortex and amygdala. That is why lovers see the world in rose-colored glasses. They are not able to assess the situation normally, and the object of love seems to them complete perfection, without a single flaw. That is why they do not pay any attention to the opinion of friends or relatives regarding their chosen one.
Amazing facts about love
- Premarital sex is not a new phenomenon. It turns out that the generation of our grandparents was not as innocent as they claim to be. Even surveys of women born since the 1920s show that more than 9 out of 10 have had sex before marriage. Taking into account all the generations from the 20s to today, it turns out that 95 percent of people at least once had sex before marriage.
- Women are attracted to dogs. Men have long noticed that walking the dog in the park is a great way to get to know a beautiful stranger. It turns out that this is indeed the case. In the course of numerous studies, it was found that girls met three times more often and willingly with a guy walking a dog.
- Marriage to the “right” person makes couples more successful in the workplace, according to research . They get more rewards, earn more and feel more satisfied with their work.
- A heartbroken Argentine farmer has spent decades growing a guitar-shaped forest to honor his late wife.
- Falling in love lasts no more than 1-1.5 years. According to scientists, the brain of people in love experiences romantic euphoria for this much time. After that, a stage called “committed love” begins, based on mutual affection for each other. This transition is associated with increased levels of neurotrophin protein.
- Women really love wealth and prestige. Science confirms that wealth and prestige affect women differently than men. For the representatives of the stronger sex, a lady sitting in an expensive car and a woman in a simple Zhiguli can be equally attractive. Whereas for most of the fairer sex, a man sitting in an expensive car will look like a more attractive person compared to a guy in a Zhiguli.
- The chemical substance phenylethylamine affects the thoughts of a person in love. When it is thrown into the blood, a person in love feels an emotional upsurge, sympathy. When you see the object of your love, the level of phenylethylamine rises in the blood, and when parting or separation, it drops sharply. After that, the body begins to experience a kind of “breaking”. Therefore, people who love each other constantly think and miss each other.
We tried to describe the most interesting facts about love in this collection. As you can see, love and falling in love are complex, and sometimes frankly bizarre emotions or feelings. Therefore, it can be difficult for men and women to navigate the “waters of early dating.”
But why not take advantage of all the benefits described in the article? Walking the dog or wearing a red dress isn’t a guarantee of love, but it certainly won’t hurt.
By the way, what facts do you know? If you have something interesting to say about love, write in the comments.