Falling in love is considered one of the most beautiful phases in any relationship. It is said that you are the age you are and you become a teenager when you fall in love because you act as such moved by the feeling of happiness created by being with the person to whom you process said love.
Before approaching the following article, we want to indicate that you cannot determine an exact duration in love or in any of its phases, because the personality of each person and the characteristics of the relationship will influence them.
For this reason, from Bigmatrimonial we are going to explain what falling in love is and how long it lasts according to psychology.
What is falling in love according to psychology
Psychology describes falling in love as the first phase of love relationships . It is designated as the most intense phase, where individuals experience their emotions towards the other person in a stronger way.
Falling in love is considered a chemical reaction that produces a feeling of pleasure before a certain person. The most characteristic of this phase is the idealization of the other person and the desire to be close to them.
How long does the effect of falling in love last according to science
In order to determine the duration of infatuation , science has made use of a biological basis since, it has been observed that, throughout this phase, people undergo a series of changes in their body.
These changes usually have a maximum duration of two to three years and, it is from this moment, when our body returns to its normal functioning, that is, to stop producing so intensely that hormone known as the love hormone.
The most common is that the infatuation lasts a few months. Although it can last from weeks to years. However, it must be borne in mind that infatuation does not have a determined duration and that each individual is completely different.
Falling in love tends to be divided according to experts into five distinct stages:
- 1st phase: sexual attraction.
- 2nd phase: hypervaluation.
- 3rd phase: appropriation of the other.
- 4th phase: reciprocity in infatuation.
- 5th phase: end of infatuation.
How long the infatuation between lovers lasts
Falling in love in this type of situation is really complicated because, in many cases, it is not an emotional bond as such between both lovers, but rather, it is a sexual and passionate bond. Lovers look to the other person for qualities that they miss in their partner, so their entire relationship is based on falling in love with these idealized and exalted qualities.
The infatuation in lovers can be considered of the same duration as a normal infatuation, since it is the biological changes produced by the love hormones that incite to maintain that relationship since, the sensations produced by these are pleasant and pleasant.
My Best Friend Is in Love With Me
how to make someone fall in love with you
How long does the unrequited crush last
Again, it is worth emphasizing the individual differences when determining the duration of this type of infatuation, since there are people with a higher level of resilience and improvement than others, so that the former will find it easier to accept that no correspondence.
Within this unrequited infatuation, five different stages could be classified through which a person must pass before accepting and completely overcoming this situation so unpleasant for unrequited love.
- Idealization of that love: the individual is not aware that love is not yet reciprocated, so the person unconsciously idealizes and hypervalues himself. This occurs in the 2nd phase of falling in love in general.
- Living a one-sided love: While the person in love struggles with obtaining that desired relationship, the person not in love is not involved. However, since the idealization about it continues, excuses are sought to explain said behavior.
- Recognizing unrequited love: After struggling for a while, the person realizes that he is in one-sided love, unrequited love. That is why she decides to get away from the person for whom she feels that love.
- Forgetting an unrequited love: it is not an easy or simple stage because, it is one thing to decide to get away from that person and another to maintain that decision. It is necessary to avoid by all means having relapses so it is convenient for a time to put a distance between you.
- Living with unrequited love: As much as you forget, it is not surprising that our minds remind us of the feelings we experienced in front of the person with whom we were in love. However, we must learn to live with it and accept the reality of not having been reciprocated. Only then can we overcome that infatuation.
How long does falling in love last
Living a crush at a distance can be really complicated, however, it must be borne in mind that, nowadays, thanks to new technologies this can be facilitated since there is no loss of contact.
Distance infatuation is considered to have a shorter duration than any other type of infatuation since, this phase, starts from the premise of a physical attraction and idealization towards another person. And that is why developing such feelings towards a person whom you have no opportunity to see is more difficult.
If the couple is in the infatuation phase and later distances themselves, they are more likely to advance their relationship towards the next phase since they have already begun to create certain links between them.
But if, on the contrary, it is a relationship where people have met through a website, it is possible that, despite claiming that they are in love, they do not feel any attraction the first time they see each other in person. Which will break any idea of falling in love.
On the other hand, it may also be that distance makes idealization last longer in time, as there is no coexistence. It may be that the infatuation phase lasts longer when the relationship is at a distance.
This article is merely informative, in Bigmatrimonial we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.
Eric Cameron is a passionate relationship coach and counselor with a focus on helping couples reconnect and build strong and lasting relationships. He has years of experience working with couples and helping them to understand the intricacies of healthy relationships. He also provides guidance on how to maintain a healthy relationship and deal with difficult topics. Eric’s approach is tailored specifically to the couple’s needs and he has a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw upon.