The only person who can constantly accompany you on this journey of life is yourself. Social relationships are also very important as a source of happiness. In the sphere of the couple, specifically, a lover can position herself in her bond with the other from the freedom of mutual correspondence or from a way of loving centered on dependency. We will provide information of the codependent relationships.
It is then when two people reinforce their weaknesses instead of helping each other in their strengths. Couple codependency starts from a vision of love centered on attachment and, in turn, this attachment is based on internal deficiencies. This is, in essence, a form of dependency. How to detect and treat Codependent relationships? In Bigmatrimonial we reflect on this issue of couple Codependent relationships: definition, symptoms and treatment.
What is emotional couple codependency
Table of Contents
- What is emotional couple codependency
- Symptoms of partner codependency
- How to overcome emotional couple codependency
- Codependent Relationships Video
This type of codependency is a variant of emotional dependency itself that reflects the bond between two people who have an unconstructive way of relating.
The couple’s emotional codependency shows the profile of who behaves as indispensable for the life of the other through gestures and attitudes that center the other as the protagonist. However, this abundance of gestures of love is conditioned on the need to receive constant recognition. A search for continuous reaffirmation in the face of internal insecurity itself.
This dynamic of behavior produces suffering and exhaustion for those who end up locked in a very reductionist vision of love. In such a relationship, there is a lack of autonomy on both sides .
Symptoms of partner codependency
What are the symptoms that reflect this form of dependency in couple relationships? How can we detect if we are in a codependency situation? Below, we show you the main signs.
- Low self-esteem marked by a distorted view of oneself that is conditioned by the variables inherent in the current situation. Sometimes, the person feels misunderstood by her closest environment since her interpretation of reality does not coincide with the frequent perception that friends and family have about that story.
- Lack of initiative to establish limits in the relationship that give rise to a new bond based on respect for common and also individual needs. Therefore, this form of codependency also reflects an insane form of self-love since whoever experiences this difficulty does not listen to himself or to the other.
- Limiting vision of happiness when viewing the script for the future in the specific context of this affective relationship. The idea of a breakup is presented as a form of loneliness that worries and blocks those who suffer from a form of codependency. This fear produces a vicious circle as it encourages attachment.
- Emotional blackmail and affective manipulation as ways to exercise control over the partner. Blackmail from someone who makes their partner feel that they should act the way they expect if they really love them. Behind this message there is the continuous manipulation of the scheme “with everything I do for you”.
- Fragility of a relationship whose base is very weak because the habits that sustain it do not reinforce it but destroy it.
How to overcome emotional couple codependency
The most important step to advance in the direction of a healthy self-esteem is to identify the suffering inherent in this vision of love that connects with a scheme in which this feeling seems to justify everything. In a healthy relationship, the needs of both are valuable. And, in turn, it is also essential to establish limits and agreements that help the shared well-being in common and individual. Therefore, when you see that your relationship takes away more than it brings you to the point that you live pending to sustain it with a constant effort, it is essential that you value the possibility of asking for professional help.
Although a person at this point has become accustomed to observing the reality of love from their own beliefs, every human being has the opportunity to start again. That is, you can learn new habits .
Treatment for couple codependency
The psychological help in overcoming codependency couple not only part of a special attention to the core of that link, but also to tie a person has with herself. To develop a healthy love with the other, previously, a person must also be able to value themselves by manifesting their autonomy.
A person who fosters codependency tends to behave as if it were indispensable for the happiness of the other, however, humility is a necessary medicine for those who, instead of continuing to behave in a way that confuses love with obsession, shows their desire to receive help to break this chain and achieve inner freedom.
Overcoming codependency is very positive even if that story comes to an end. I mean, you deserve to be happy. And the best way to avoid repeating patterns and behavior patterns present in the current relationship in a future relationship is to discover the constructive vision of respect for yourself and the other.
This article is merely informative, in Bigmatrimonial we do not have the power to make a diagnosis or recommend a treatment. We invite you to go to a psychologist to treat your particular case.